The Lars Larsen residence is unusual, since the property has not one but two houses. A two-story Victorian framed house sits at the back of the lot, while a larger Craftsman occupies the front section. This Craftsman is two stories. Shingles clad the upper floor, and lumber sides the main level. The house has typical large Craftsman brackets under the extended gable roof. Vergeboards extend beyond rooflines, although gutters now hide the exposed rafter ends.
A small balcony extends from an upstairs bedroom, encompassing a pair of French doors flanked by narrow double-hung windows. This bay arrangement is visually weighted to match the three-part window arrangement on the main floor. A large one-over-one, double-hung window occupies a significant portion of the remaining second-level façade. A small, thin, long window with multiple vertical lights illuminates the attic space.
The main floor has the typical Craftsman cluster of three windows, and a less common arrangement of two closely placed windows (not framed as one unit) to the right of the recessed front door. Square piers support the flat porch roof, and the main entry to the house is recessed, to the right. Cottage style windows are used throughout the house. Most windows are double hung, and numerous main floor windows have leaded glass details. The interior of the house retains much of its original woodwork. Both the living room and dining room have exposed box-beamed ceilings, and retain many of the original light fixtures. A massive built-in china cabinet occupies most of the dining room wall.
The older, Victorian house sits to the back of the main property. Sandborn maps from 1904, 1905, and 1915 indi
cate that the Victorian structure may have once faced the main street, and was moved to the back of the lot when the larger Craftsman home was constructed. The one-and-a-half story structure is simple in form, with a front-facing gabled roof and clapboard siding. Large windows are simple one over one, double hung, and smaller, square, fixed-pane windows are used in some areas of the house.
The Lars Larsen residence is located in the second addition to the Queen Anne neighborhood, platted in the 1870s. The original frame Victorian house was constructed in 1898, by William and Mary R. Geddes, vocal and instrumental music teachers. Lars Larsen purchased the property in 1906, and was responsible for construction of the Craftsman style house on the property. The second house was rented out to tenants during this time. Larsen was a blacksmith, who partnered in Larsen and Weyandt, and then Columbus and Larsen, a metalworking business.
Was this article helpful?