1. The restoration phase of S.R. Crown Hall that was completed during the summer of 2005 included all except which?
a. adding bathrooms b. removal of lead-based paint c. replacing glass panels d. retrofitting blinds
2. Crown Hall was designed by whom?
a. Dirk Lohan, the grandson of Mies van der Rohe b. Krueck & Sexton, alumni of IIT
c. Donna Robertson, dean of the architecture school at IIT
d. Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
3. Both the demolition and construction were able to be completed in only 15 weeks because of which?
a. new materials were prefabricated b. the scheduling included a contingency plan c. there was a constantly roving punch list d. all of the factors listed above
4. Which was the major drawback of the upper glass panels?
a. they were crystal clear b. they appeared to be barely there c. they were thin and large d. they poured daylight into the studio
5. Which was the major drawback of the lower glass panels?
a. they were a matte finish b. they absorbed oil and adhesive c. they provided privacy for the students d. they kept the public from being able to see in
6. Why were the clear upper glass panels not replaced with the 58-inch tempered glass panels?
a. that would not meet code requirements b. they would have a green tint c. they would have a waviness d. they would be too heavy for the stops
7. The lower glass panels were replaced with which?
a. mylar-coated glass panels b. sandblasted panels like the originals c. tempered glass panels d. tempered, sandblasted, and clear epoxy protected glass panels
8. The paint was immediately sandblasted off the steel members for what reason?
a. to give it a textured look b. to make it look blacker c. to remove lead-based paint d. to make a smooth finish for new coats of paint
9. The argument against using sloped stops was which?
a. the stops needed to match the original ones exactly b. a thicker stop, even if it were just a fraction of an inch, would make the frames look heavier c. no amount of slope should be introduced into a design that is consciously rectilinear d. sloped stops could not be fabricated
10. Mies van der Rohe's design concept for Crown Hall included all of the following except for which?
a. an open universal space b. upper walls that were barely there c. a reflective surface on the inside of the glass d. a pristine Modernist view to the public
Was this article helpful?