Suchov designed and built the first hyperboloid steel lattice tower for the All-Russian exhibition in Nizhniy Novgorod in the year 1896. The 25.6 m tall structure with a bottom diameter of 11 m and a top diameter of 4.3 m consisted of 80 straight steel angles and intermediate horizontal ring elements. The extremely light and filigree structure served as a water tower combined with a viewing platform and attracted the attention of the engineering community and public alike.
In the following years, his invention gained widespread circulation throughout Russia due to its cost-effectiveness and structural stability in comparison to other tower structures. Suchov standardized the building type and constructed more than hundred towers with varying heights and proportions for different purposes. The tallest structure of this kind is the 150 m tall Sabolovka radio tower in Moscow, built between 1920 and 1922.
At the end of the same decade, from 1927-1929, Suchov built six power transmission line towers at the Oka river, about 100 km southwest of Nizhny Novgorod (fig. 1). The four smaller ones were composed of three, the two taller ones of five hyperboloids, reaching 130.2 m in height. With their structural clarity, extreme lightness, and simple detailing, these towers mark the high point of Suchov's advancement of hyperbolic lattice structures.
Five of the six towers have been dismantled since they became out of use more than ten years ago. Only one of the two 130.2 m tall structures is still existent today. This remaining structure was recently severely damaged when 16 of the 40 elements in the lower part of the first drum were cut out by looters. The missing elements will be substituted in the fall of 2007.
Was this article helpful?