■ Chef de cuisine (kitchen chef) is responsible for purchase of goods, cost control, setting up the menu, and supervision of personnel and hygiene in the kitchen area.
• Sous-chef (kitchen chef's assistant) represents the kitchen chef In his absence; in a targe organization, he takes over some of the chef's duties,
• Saucier (sauce cook) prepares all sauces and the meals that go with them, as well as all fish dishes (although in large organizations there is a poissonier); he is responsible for the work at the kitchen range, and in medium-sized establishments he assumes the functions of the chef's asslsant.
« Rôtisseur (roast, fry, and grill cook| tn large restaurants, there is, in addition, a grilladtn.
■ Entremetier (soup, vegetable, and side-dish cook)
In large restaurants a potagier prepares soups and broths.
• Garde-manger supplies the ready-to-cut meat and fish preparation, the cold oppetizers, hors d'oeuvres, and salads. In large restaurants, this work is divided between the hors d'oeuvrier (appetizer cook) and the boucher (butcher].
■ Pâtissier makes cookies, cakes, îce cream, and other desserts; in large restaurants, the work is divided among the glacier (ice cream maker), confiseur (fine pastry cook), and boulanger (baker of bread, rolls, and other baked goods),
■ Commis (junior cook) is available to chefs of sections.
• Salad man or girl produces and serves various kinds of salads and in some restaurants is responsible for the smorgasbord (hors d'oeuvres] and is subordinate to the gardemanger,
• Casserolier cleans, cares for, and services all pans, cooking equipment, and kitchen machines.
• Kitchen boy cleans the kitchen, helps with the preparation of dishes, and has other duties.
• Contrôleur is in charge of supplies, controls their placement and storage, and does the inventory bookkeeping.
« Gouvernante accepts goods, exercises control, supervises the économat, dry storage, linen, and cleaning materials, and hands out staples,
« In European restaurants, the bar lady is responsible for all beverages and often is the representative for the management, and, in smaller restaurants, oversees the waiters.
• Argentier rs responsible for the care of silver.
Fig, I Hotel or restaurant kitchen or French restaurant of high standard. Capacity for main meal»: Hotel—100-200 portons/menu, 100 persons/à to carte. Restaurant—200-300 persons / mealtime from 11:30 to 1:30. Waiters' passageway: tangential. Kitchen: Linear arrangement with large installations in the rear. See Legend for explanation of numbers.
Was this article helpful?
How would you like to save a ton of money and increase the value of your home by as much as thirty percent! If your homes landscape is designed properly it will be a source of enjoyment for your entire family, it will enhance your community and add to the resale value of your property. Landscape design involves much more than placing trees, shrubs and other plants on the property. It is an art which deals with conscious arrangement or organization of outdoor space for human satisfaction and enjoyment.